Falafels of Paris

What the heck is a falafel? I asked myself this question when I first came to Paris. You will forgive me for my ignorance but I haven't heard about it before coming here. I have to admit it took me quite some time to go and try it. I simply thought it's going to be another kebab-like junk food (no, I don't like kebab). 
Finally, I decided to put the dish on my to do/eat list. And oh I did eat it. A lot. I am an official fan.
So what is a falafel in the end? It is a Middle Eastern deep-fried ball made of chickpeas and/or fava beans, served in delicious pita bread with hummus and vegetables.

In Paris, in Le Marais, there is a falafel mania. Every day in the week except Saturday, if you walk down the small but ever-crowded Rue des Rosiers you will find kosher restaurants selling falafel sandwiches, to go or sur place. But be prepare to queue, especially if you decide to eat in the most famous falafel place in Paris - L'As du Fallafel. 



The guys working there are really fast so you won't wait too long.


You can order while queueing.


There are other good falafel places in town, one being just across the street. I had lunch there the other day. They also sell falafels to go, in a sandwich.


Falafels were a bit soft but still tasty. The amount of hummus was enough for two more portions of falafel.

I felt dizzy from all this goodness.
To tell you the truth, my favourite falafel place is in another part of the city, on the other river bank. But that is another story to tell. In the meantime, when you find yourself in Paris, do go in Rue des Rosiers, it is truly a place to see.